Rubbish, Recycling & Yardwaste Collection
- All rubbish, recycling, and yardwaste should be curbside by 7:30 a.m. the day of pickup, but not sooner than 6:00 p.m. the evening before pickup. All Trash, recycling and yardwaste placed at the curb prior to 6:00 p.m. the day before the scheduled pickup date is considered litter and subject to fine (Ordinance #1999-33).
HOLIDAY RUBBISH PICK-UP SCHEDULE
When your rubbish day falls on a holiday, your rubbish will be picked up the following day. All other days of the week remain the same.
Holidays the Service Department is CLOSED:
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Day
- President's Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Rubbish & Recycling Collection Carts
- Each home is issued two 96 Gallon carts
- 1 for rubbish (black lid)
- 1 for recycling (blue lid)
- The serial numbers on the front of the rubbish & recycling cans are registered to specific address
- Carts must be left at the residence when moving out of the home.
- For new dwellings, please contact the Service Department for your carts to be delivered to your residence.
- To purchase additional rubbish, recycling and/or yard waste carts you can call the City of Independence Service Department at 216.524.9191.
- Cans: Empty and rinse
- Cartons: Empty and rinse, replace the cap
- Glass Bottle & Jars: Empty and rinse
- Paper & Boxes: Flatten all cardboard items
- Plastic Bottles & Jugs: Empty and rinse
- Small appliances (call for special pick up)
- Hazardous waste (paint, motor oil (call for special pick up)
- Hard plastics such as toys (put in your trash)
- Window glass (put in your trash)
- Residents can purchase a 96 gallon yardwaste cart (green lid) from the City of Independence Service Dept.
- Yardwaste is picked up on your rubbish day on the opposite side of your rubbish.
- Place yardwaste in brown bags or open containers.
- Items placed in plastic bags will not be picked up
- Yardwaste will be picked up during the months of April (weather permitting) until mid-December
- Small amounts of yardwaste can be placed inside your rubbish cart during the months of January through March
- All branches less than one inch in diameter must be bundled and be no longer than four feet in length
- Grass clippings
- Other yard debris
Yardwaste does NOT include: dirt, dog or animal waste, litter, rocks or sod.